Resources and Books
The following books, lectures and websites may be helpful resources to learn more about Montessori. ISMS has a range of books available for purchase at reception.
Books about Montessori
- Lillard, Paula Polk: Montessori – A Modern Approach – A contemporary introduction to the Montessori philosophy for parents, this book explores the advantages of Montessori education and the scientific evidence that continues to support her discoveries.
- Lillard, Paula Polk and Lillard Jesson, Lynn: Montessori From The Start. The Child At Home, From Birth To Age Three – Answers questions such as: “What is the Montessori method? Are its revolutionary ideas about early childhood relevant to today’s world? And is Montessori education right for my child?
- Eissler, Trevor: Montessori Madness! A Parent to Parent Argument for Montessori Education, 2009, Sevenoff LLC – An easy-to-read introduction to the key elements of Montessori education and how the Montessori approach differs from mainstream education.
- Futrell, Kathleen H: The Normalized Child – The Needs and characteristics of the child up to six years of age.
- Wolf, Aline D: A Parent’s Guide to the Montessori Classroom – A look at what happens in the 3 – 6 classroom environment and explains the purpose of various Montessori materials.
Books and Lectures by Dr. Maria Montessori
- The Montessori Method – Dr Montessori’s first book and a definitive statement of her work.
- The California Lectures of Maria Montessori, 1915 Ed. Robert G Buckenmeyer – Maria Montessori discusses some of her basic principles of education.
- The Discovery of the Child – In the revised edition of the book Maria Montessori describes the nature of the child and her method.
- The Formation of Man – Maria Montessori talks about the psychology of the child during the first four years of life, about the formation of intelligence of a human personality, how it is formed, by means of what processes and in obedience of what laws.
Websites and Blogs
- Montessori Australia Foundation – Covers Montessori education in Australia, including a complete listing of Montessori schools and information about the Montessori method of education.
- Association Montessori Internationale – AMI was founded by Dr Montessori to maintain the integrity of her life’s work. Its activities include training courses, publications, conferences and guiding the manufacturers of approved Montessori materials.
- Educateurs san Frontiers – This is a group of Montessori educators working throughout the world bringing Montessori to remote and/or new locations.
- Montessori Model United Nations (MMUN) – A powerful experience for Montessori young people to come together to listen, negotiate, collaborate and then offer solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems.
- Aid to Life – Four short clips for parents of young children regarding movement, environment, language and independence.